Introduction to NYE in NYC
New Year’s Eve in New York City is unlike any other place in the world. With the famous party in Times Square where the ball dropping is viewed by millions within the comfort of their own homes, and with the pomp and circumstance revolving around plenty of these once-a-year events, NYC has something going on that everyone can enjoy.
We at TickPick have created a curated list of what we consider some of the best activities and events going on for this year’s New Year’s Eve in NYC.
Times Square Tickets – All You Need to Know
First thing is first: if you really do intend to go all out and celebrate the ball dropping in Times Square while having a great viewing spot for all of the performances, you’d be wise to show up early. In years’ past, it’s been standard for attendees to get there around noon on New Year’s Eve. The performances kickoff at 8 pm, so there will be a lot of standing around and waiting that will test the patience of those who are prepared to brave the frigid elements.
We would highly advise bringing your external phone chargers, food to snack on, water to drink, and on that note, it may even behoove you to bring some adult diapers so you don’t lose your place once the crowd gets thicker (kidding, but not totally kidding).
Best NYE Parties – Celebrate 2020 in Style
While nearly every bar/restaurant will claim to throw the biggest and best New Year’s Eve party (ones that are almost always accompanied by an expensive get-in fee and an open bar package that makes you feel as if you’re obligated to consume ten or more cocktails to get your money’s worth), there are a few noteworthy ones that we think are a great option for those in NYC for NYE 2020.
- Brooklyn’s House of Yes is one of New York’s trendiest bar/clubs going right now, and they’ve been known to throw a hell of a party to celebrate NYE for the past few years. Their Golden Era party offers an open champagne bar from 9-10 pm, delectable bites & treats, a beauty bar, a cabaret jazz club, and more, with special guests to be announced. They’re advertising it on their site as “Elegance and Decadence. Vintage Hollywood, Speakeasy seduction, Silent film sophistication,” and anybody who has made it to this venue knows that they’ll follow through.
- 230 Fifth Rooftop offers an extensive & premium open bar package (from 9 pm – 1 am) and plenty of Hors D’oeuvres, with two live DJs spinning dance, rock, Top 40s, and classic ’80s for guests all throughout the night. This is one of New York’s most popular rooftop bars – which says something given the bevy of options – and attendees will get breathtaking views of the Manhattan skyline, free of charge.
- One of the best options for watching the ball drop live and in person (but without having to wait outside in the cold all day) is Times Square’s Tonic Bar & Restaurant. A large and popular sports bar, it offers a four-hour premium open bar and gourmet appetizer package to guests, in addition to a reserved outdoor walk-up space, where you can view the ball drop in person, and patio access where you can view it, as well.
NYE Sports – The Hottest Tickets for 2020
- While it actually takes place on New Year’s Day, the Knicks play the Trail Blazers on Wednesday, January 1st in what was already going to be a very popular event, given people are off for the holiday and so many people will be looking for plans after their long night on NYE, but add in the element of former Knick All-Star Carmelo Anthony making his first return to MSG as an opposing player since December 16th of 2017, when he was a member of the Oklahoma City Thunder, and this will be one of the hottest tickets of the year. Ticket prices during the holidays for any game at the World’s Most Famous Arena are always higher, given the amount of tourism that helps prop up attendance figures, but add in the sentimental element of ‘Melo back in The Big Apple, and you have one of the most exciting games of the 2019-20 season at The Garden for this Knicks team.
- While the Rangers aren’t in town during New Year’s Day or Eve, their rival Devils play the Boston Bruins just a short New Jersey Transit ride away in Newark, NJ on New Year’s Eve at the Prudential Center. The Bruins have one of the biggest and most die-hard fan bases in the NHL, so you can expect a ton of Boston fans to make the trip for this game, as well as for the festivities later that night.
NYE Concerts – The Hottest Tickets for 2020
- One of the biggest events of the entire year is the Phish New Year’s Eve residency at Madison Square Garden. Phish fans from all over the world flock to The Big Apple during NYE to catch one of the year’s tried and true traditions – where the incredibly popular jam band rocks out for hours at a time for their fans. This year, Phish will perform at MSG for four separate shows, from Saturday, December 28th through Tuesday, December 31st. It’s one of the tougher tickets out there to come by, but you can find them as cheap as they’ll be on any marketplace on TickPick, where you’ll save big by paying no additional service fees.
- Super popular rockers The Strokes have scheduled a New Year’s Eve show of their own just over the bridge at Brooklyn’s Barclay’s Center. Those looking for plans for NYE who are looking to eschew the typical open bar packages for a more memorable experience with 19,000 of their closest friends should look into this show as one of the best activities of the entire week in New York City.
- For a bit of a more intimate concert experience (when compared to MSG and Barclay’s Center, at least), check out southern rock icons Gov’t Mule at the beautiful Beacon Theatre on either December 30th or New Year’s Eve. The side project of The Allman Brother Band legends Warren Haynes and Allen Woody have put on some incredible shows over the years, and these ones promise to be a worthy way to spend your New Year’s Eve in 2019.
How To Get the Cheapest NYC New Year’s Eve Tickets
With high prices come high service fees with many marketplaces, but not TickPick. Here at TickPick we have no service fees, making us your source for the cheapest New Year’s Eve event tickets on the secondary market. If you have not used TickPick before, you can sign up with the link below for $10 off your first purchase. If you have any questions regarding New Year’s Eve event tickets in NYC, please feel free to submit a request here.