As a fan of live events like sports, concerts, and theater, I grew up using Stubhub, and as a frequent user, I always thought that they should offer Stubhub fan codes to loyal buyers. However, after looking at what you can save using a Stubhub coupon code or fan codes on concert tickets, sports tickets, or theater tickets, I have to ask: do the savings from Stubhub’s Fan Codes justify StubHub’s high fees they add to the ticket price at checkout?
Most people don’t realize that the majority of seats on StubHub can be bought without the service fees, saving you much more than you would even with the best StubHub promo code (jump to Is There A Better Way to Save? for more on this point. Otherwise, read on to learn more StubHub fan codes).
- 1 StubHub Fan Codes Pros & Cons
- 2 StubHub Fan Codes – What You Need to Know
- 3 StubHub Fan Codes & Discounts FAQ
- 4 What is the difference between StubHub fan codes and StubHub fan rewards?
- 5 What is the Difference Between a StubHub Fan Code and Promo Code?
- 6 How to Find StubHub Promo Codes
- 7 Why Did StubHub Fan Rewards Change?
- 8 What does this change mean for me?
- 9 The only reason I use StubHub is for the Fan Rewards. Why should I still use StubHub?
- 10 Stubhub to Update Fan Codes & Fan Rewards
- 11 How to Save Money on Tickets
The following information is from 2016 when Stubhub has gotten rid of its Fan Code and Fan Reward program. You still can sign up for these programs (see info below), but very rarely do they offer Stubhub discount codes and promo codes. However, if they do, it will be added directly to your account or you will receive a Fan Code number. This information is still relevant to this day.
StubHub Fan Codes Pros & Cons
The Pros of Using Fan Codes:
- Stubhub Fan Codes are free to obtain and dead simple to use.
- All you need to do is sign up for a StubHub account, and you can start earning in 2-3% of your future purchases as rewards for use in later orders.
What to Look out for when using Fan Codes:
- Stubhub’s Fan Rewards program requires you to sign up.
- You have to spend $2,000 or make 10 purchases to become a superstar (i.e. get 3% off)
- You have to spend money to save money – you only earn rewards after you purchase something (i.e., if this is your first time buying tickets through the reward program, you won’t be able to use a fan code for this purchase, but you would for the next one).
- Codes expire after only six months.
- The fine print is a little misleading. “Seat upgrades” only occur if there is a problem with your order, and fan codes can only be earned from and used on “eligible purchases.” This means you won’t earn rewards for purchases that make use of a fan code or other form of discount like a gift card.
StubHub Fan Codes – What You Need to Know
StubHub’s coupon codes are only made available after you make a purchase, and can only be put towards a future order. So, if you’re looking to save on tickets that you want to buy soon, and you don’t already have a coupon code, StubHub’s Fan Codes program won’t help you.
There is a major loophole in their StubHub coupon code policy. You see, it’s the Elephant Oak Tree in the room that StubHub never talks about – their fees. StubHub charges its users upwards of 10-30% to buy tickets and marks up the ticket inventory they receive from fans listing tickets anywhere from an additional 10% to 30%. Meanwhile, StubHub’s coupon codes only give you 2% off future orders (note: if you spend $2,000 or make 10 purchases, you can get 3% off).
What is a discount code for 2-3% off worth when they’re charging you 10-30% to buy tickets as well as the 15% fee that sellers are getting charged?
StubHub Fan Codes & Discounts FAQ
With regard to StubHub’s legacy Fan Rewards discounts, pre-July 6th, 2016:
What is the difference between StubHub fan codes and StubHub fan rewards?
This can be confusing. StubHub fan codes are the promo codes that you earn when you buy tickets after signing up for StubHub’s fan rewards program. Fan rewards is the program you sign up for. Fan codes are what you actually receive.
What is the Difference Between a StubHub Fan Code and Promo Code?
While they technically do the same thing – save you money off your purchase – fan codes are only earned when you spend money on a StubHub ticket through the fan rewards program. At the same time, they’ll very occasionally send out other types of StubHub coupon code promotions, including promo codes unrelated to their fan rewards program. See below to learn more about StubHub promo codes.
How to Find StubHub Promo Codes
Stubhub coupon codes and promo codes are only available directly from StubHub (they create unique codes for each user which is tied to an account), so searching on Google for a StubHub discount code is worthless. You can sign up for StubHub’s promotional e-mails here. However, it’s rare that they ever send promo codes.
Updated FAQ from Stubhub regarding their discount code program post-July 6th, 2016:
Why Did StubHub Fan Rewards Change?
Stubhub Answer: We’re committed to bringing fans the best experience possible. That’s why we’re always working to improve our products and our programs–including Fan Rewards. And we felt we could do even more. We believe the new experience will bring richer, more meaningful rewards to even more fans.
What does this change mean for me?
Stubhub Answer: You’ll still be able to find the same great tickets for your favorite teams and artists, but there will no longer be a 2-3% redeemable amount added to your account when you make a purchase.
The only reason I use StubHub is for the Fan Rewards. Why should I still use StubHub?
Stubhub Answer: There are lots of reasons to choose StubHub! We care about our fans, and we care about you. Every order is covered by our FanProtect® Guarantee. If you have any questions or problems, our top-notch Customer Support team is there to help.
Stubhub to Update Fan Codes & Fan Rewards
Here’s the exact email from Stubhub sent on June 15th, 2016:
We wanted you to hear it from us first: it’s time to say goodbye to Fan Rewards and hello to a new and improved loyalty experience.
As our company is transforming by better connecting our fans globally to performers, artists, athletes, and entertainment, we’re excited to share that our loyalty experience will be evolving too. As we rebuild, refresh and reimagine a new way to recognize you as a StubHub customer and loyal fan – we are working on an offering that will have more meaningful benefits plus improved and unique customer experiences.
We’re committed to bringing fans the best experience possible. That’s why we’re always working to improve our products and programs. Here’s what to expect:
• Fan Rewards program will no longer be available after July 6th, 2016
• We can’t reveal all the details about all of the new and exciting changes yet. But stay connected with us by email, on Facebook, or through our app and you’ll be the first to know!
We appreciate you and want to thank you for letting us be a part of your event-going experience.
In short, at this point, it no longer makes sense for StubHub to provide StubHub fan codes or discounts to their users as it’s reducing their margins and profitability. The good news is that there’s a better StubHub alternative…
How to Save Money on Tickets
There is. It’s called TickPick. So if you’re looking for a way to save money on concert tickets, look no further. What many people don’t realize is that the vast majority of the tickets on StubHub can be bought on TickPick without the service fees. TickPick was started in 2011 as a response to StubHub’s crazy high fees – TickPick’s customers save an average of 10% over StubHub for the same seats, with no fan codes required.
If you’re looking to save money on tickets, remember that the ticket companies that charge high fees will try to disguise those fees using coupon codes, rewards programs, and loyalty programs. TicketsNow does it. VividSeats does it. StubHub does it (note, at one point they showed all-in ticket prices, but because of their high fees, they experienced a loss in sales since they were being honest and showing their high prices upfront). It’s a fact of modern marketing. But are those fan codes, promo codes, and loyalty programs worth the higher fees? We don’t think so. We’ve got the same event tickets, at a better price. In other words, we’ve got a great deal on tickets.
Check us out for your next ticket purchase. You’ll be glad you did.
If you’re looking to make it out to an upcoming event, find extra savings of 10% on the same seats that StubHub has, and pay no service fees here on TickPick.